Monday, August 24, 2009
The people of Samoa are going to have to change the side of the road they drive on. Imagine that kind of change in your life. You drive on the right side of the road on September 6, and wake up on September 7 and have to drive on the left side of the road. Now that would cause road rage which is already happening because of protests.
Imagine that change in your life . . . Talk about people who are nervous drivers, yikes, I'd be a nervous passenger.
Read the article at http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125086852452149513.html?mod=yhoofront
Why change? Because the neighbors of Samoa, Australia and New Zealand already drive on the left side of the road. Read the article to learn more.
16 "In that day," declares the LORD,
"you will call me 'my husband';
you will no longer call me 'my master. '
19 I will betroth you to me forever;
I will betroth you in righteousness and justice,
in love and compassion.
20 I will betroth you in faithfulness,
and you will acknowledge the LORD.
The author of the book, Ann Spangler states, "our destiny, our greatest purpose as God's people, is to become his bride (page 219)."
On the one hand, I do believe the church is the bride of Christ, which includes Christians, yet, for a man, and this is just me thinking and reflecting out loud (or at least on paper) does a man really want to be a bride? Not that I don't want Christ, not that I know He should have full authority over me, and I should be obedient to Him and love Him . . . I know all that, but . . .
. . . do men like that image? Men want to be in control. Men like to have the answers, to solve problems, to be knights in shining armor, to be rescuers on our white horses, to rescue our beloved, to be perceived upon as strong.
Saturday, August 22, 2009
A global war has started which could reach catastrophic proportions. As a result, the U.S. Special Ops team travels to Chernobyl, where ghosts of past disasters are nothing compared to the nuclear nightmare about to unfold.
With CIA Agent Mary “ Phoenix ” Walker heading her first Special Ops mission and Master Sergeant Bobby Sweeney fighting demons on and off the battlefield, Task Force Valor races to stop a terrorist threat in the Ukraine before Europe is turned into a radioactive wasteland.
But when the terror reaches American shores, the team is powerless to help until they can save themselves. And when they finally track down the source of the chaos, what they find is worse than anything they could have imagined.
A fast paced book for the military enthusiast.
You can purchase the book at
The author, Chuck Holton has traveled the world, experienced combat, served in the Elite 75th Ranger Regiment, and is the author of six books, including Allah’s Fire, Island Inferno, Bulletproof, Stories From a Soldier’s Heart, and A More Elite Soldier. His journeys have taken him from the depths of the Atlantic, to the mountains of Burma , from the dogsleds of Alaska , to skies of Iraq . Chuck lives in Appalachia with his wife, Connie, and their five children.
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Hopefully some pictures to follow.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
I was thinking some “what if” thoughts the other day…
* WHAT IF the early church had decided to simply study what Jesus said but not apply it?
* WHAT IF the early church had decided their primary responsibility was to be political, thus organizing protests against the Roman government for occupying their land?
* WHAT IF the early church had decided to yell and scream at the Romans for acting like Romans?
* WHAT IF the early church had decided their primary call was to save the environment rather than the ones living in it?
* WHAT IF the early church had substituted their personal preferences in place of the words of Jesus?
* WHAT IF the early church had been more obsessed with Robert’s Rules of Order rather than the Scriptures?
* WHAT IF the early church had been focused on the cross on the wall rather than the cross Jesus called them to carry?
* WHAT IF the early church had instructed the Holy Spirit in Acts 2 that He was a little out of hand…and that his movement hadn’t been voted on and approved by the deacons.
* WHAT IF the early church had been full of people who drove their “luxury camels” to church…but became angry when someone mentioned the offering?
* WHAT IF the early church had the attitude of, “we love a small crowd…so don’t tell anyone about Jesus coming back to life. I know He commanded us to tell…but let’s keep it a secret?”
* WHAT IF the early church had been more passionate about their comfort than conforming to who Christ called them to be?
* WHAT IF the early church had spent their time attacking the church planting movement than began in Acts 8 and continued throughout the NT?
* WHAT IF the early church had been full of people who had an attitude and an opinion…but weren’t actually willing to do anything to reach people far from God?
* WHAT IF the early church had required only “religious professionals” to be in ministry?
WHAT IF…WOW…so glad the early church listened to Jesus and did what HE said…or else we would have been in a lot of trouble!
Sunday, August 02, 2009
I really found this book to be a delightful and at times moving collection of mini devotions which helped me to better find my bearings as I navigate fatherhood. Maybe because it is just me and on child for the weekend, the book took on extra meaning.
Anyway, here is a snippet from the foreword, Goyer states,
"I'm coming to realize that another important adventure begins for women (and men) when we choose to have a Play Dough Heart in a Lego World! Something wonderful happens when we choose to surrender our ideas of how things must be and instead allow God to shape us. Then the Holy Spirit can take our willingness and make something infinitely more beautiful than all our carefully constructed plans could have ever accomplished."Goyer breaks the book into 23 chapters, averaging about 8 pages each. It's easy reading, and good for the heart, probably for women, since the book is designed for women out of her life experience.
I would recommend this book for moms who are feeling the stress of raising children and working. There's wonderful humor and inspiration in these pages.
You can purchase this book at
The Sequin Sparkle and Change Bible is sure to be a hit with girls! This fabulous material is on everything from pillows to T-shirts....
MY NAME IS PRIDE By BETH MOORE My name is Pride. I am a cheater. I cheat you of your God-given destiny... because you demand y...
I wish I had this book when my boys were younger. This is a wonderful and powerful way for parents to engage with their children on a dai...
Patrick Lencioni is a wonderful leadership expert and Christian. He has written many best selling books, such as "The Five Dysfunction...