I received this from a web site called Church Relevance. You can go to the web-site at http://churchrelevance.com/middle-school-sex/
Posted: 14 Apr 2009 08:47 AM PDT See the web site below.
The University of Texas School of Public Health recently discovered that middle school sex happens more often than most think. According to their study:
- 1/3 of students experienced precoital touching behaviors
> 43% of these students experienced sexual intercourse
- 12% of students experienced vaginal sex by age 12
- 7.9% of students experienced oral sex by age 12
- 6.5% of students experienced anal sex by age 12
- 4% of students experienced all three types of sex by age 12
Among sexually active:
- 1/3 experienced vaginal or anal sex without a condom within the past three months
- 1/4 had four or more partners
Obviously, this trend is alarming morally. But researcher Christine Markham also states:
These findings are alarming because youth who start having sex before age 14 are much more likely to have multiple lifetime sexual partners, use alcohol or drugs before sex and have unprotected sex, all of which puts them at greater risk for getting a sexually transmitted disease or becoming pregnant.
This is part of the reason why a strong youth ministry is so vital. The middle school years for a youth pastor are so vital, yet these topics are usually taboo.
We need to keep our youth pastor search committee in prayer.